CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Why are Muslims STILL Smoking Sheesha?

I think I've received the email entitled 'Doctors say sheesha/hookay may be more dangerous than smoking cigarettes' more than 25 times, thus I know many people I know and countless other Muslims must have gotten this same email.

I'm sure more than half of these people didn't even read it, or even take the title of the article to heart.

I still can't believe I see so many pictures of brothers and sisters lounging around, INTERMINGLING, and smoking sheesha together. I think if I see another bearded brother or hijabi blowing smoke I'll barf. Seriously guys, it looks so disgusting to see Muslim people doing this.

I understand in some Muslim countries it's customary, but custom strikes out when it steps to the plate against Islam. Not to mention most people smoking sheesha uptook this custom right here in the US after it became popular.

I think just because it's done in Muslim countries that put comfort and reassurance in some Muslims hearts that this is something we could do without feeling bad about it. The same goes for the kifayah/shemagh design which has become so popular and almost every clothing line has some article of clothing with the design. I rarely saw Muslims wearing their kifayahs before, but ever since Rachel Ray's paisly scarf confusion, I've been seeing kifayah prints everywhere and morebrothers and sisters feel more comfortable, but firstly, fashionable and accepted wearing it. Props to the brothers in Islam who went out with their kifayahs before it became a fashion statement. Many people who wear it for fashion (mostly non Muslims) don't even know where the print originated from or what it stands for.

Anyway, call me a fool, but after receiving all those emails about hookah being dangerous, I felt kind of happy because I figured more Muslims would stop, but it seems more people are doing it. My heart aches from seeing brothers and sisters giggling and sitting next to each other smoking away, this is truly one of the saddest images I have seen subhanAllah. It just looks so wrong.

May Allah help guide us all, ameen!

4 comments:

بنت بيتر said...

Ma shaa Allah, what a pretty new design :) And I missed your posts so much!

I dont get it either, some ppl are just extremely ignorant - you know, like most of the muslim population, when it comes to MANY things apparently. Its so sad. May Allah guide them to the right way, ameen.

As for the kiffeyah, I couldnt care less who wears, even for a fashion statement. As I said ignorant - but they do that all the time. When I was young ppl used to wear bandanas and then other ppl would get upset, saying its a gang colour and stupid stuff like that. Like, what is the problem anyway, thats what Id like to know ;) So they like to sport their ignorance. SO does most of the world, just in different ways.

Anyway, may Allah guide all of them, ameen x

Ange said...

seeing all the chinese kids here and little blonde girls wearing the kiffeyah makes me laugh.

Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

May Allah guide us to do what pleases Him, and only Him. Ameen.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

Anonymous said...

Can I have this email please?
purple0149@yahoo.com

Jazaki Allah khair sister!