CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 5, 2009

This is why you don't get tattoos...

I have a lot of old high school friends added on facebook, but I don't usually go to their pages. One friend mentioned in her status that she got a new tattoo and out of curiosity I wanted to see what it was.

I was surprised when I enlarged the pic to see a mess of Arabic letters on her shoulder. It was supposed to say 'black beauty' in Arabic... however, it looked more like this:

د و س ا ب ا ل ا م ج ل ا

That's exactly how it looks... spaces and all. The letters aren't even connected. The best I can make out is that maybe it said al-jamaal something. I asked her who translated it and she said her and a friend looked it up on a free translating site. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! LOL!! You're gonna put something on your body which will be there forever and you rely on some site to do it for you?? I feel bad for her, but hey, this is why you DON'T get tattoos. This is almost as bad as the girl I know who got her name tattooed in huge letters on her back, without giving the artist the spelling of her name... so instead of saying Juajnita it said Huaneeta hahaha! I shouldn't laugh... it's really sad.. but... wowwww..

17 comments:

Stacy K. said...

It has the letters for al aswad, but there is a ba in there for no reason, not to mention that all the letters are set up left to right when arabic reads the opposite direction. Wow! If your tattoo is in another language you should at least know how to read the script.

al-Ghariba said...

LOL. I reminds me of all those people who got Japanese kanji letters as tattoos. Instead of lion, tiger, power and strength, they had hat, shirt, yesterday and LOSER!

al-Ghariba said...

LOL. I reminds me of all those people who got Japanese kanji letters as tattoos. Instead of lion, tiger, power and strength, they had hat, shirt, yesterday and LOSER!

UmmHadiqah said...

As salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatu Allahi wa Barakatuh,

smh @ that craziness...tsk tsk tsk

Nikki said...

Oh my goodness, I kept trying to read it and was getting absolutely nothing until I read stacy's comment and realized that they wrote left to right! I am absolutely flabbergasted, lol. Not only are the letters not connected to form words, but they're even written in the wrong order to be read correctly.

Reading it left to right, then, (how the tattoo owner intended it) you get al jmala...which is jameela or jameel, so beauty, and then b aswad. ? b black. mmhmm. poor girl.

they certainly did make a mess out of this one.

NtN said...

ASA,
Awww, and it takes like 10 grand to fix that mistake. Oh, and they boil the ink out of the flesh using lasers. Not sure which part of tattoo removal is worse.

Jaz said...

es-salaamu aleikum,
Wow I'm really surprised that someone would do that! If she liked Arabic enough to want a tattoo in the language, wouldn't she have recognized that this looks nothing like normal arabic should? That's a shame... Al-gamaalaabaswad. Wow.

Haleemah said...

Well I guess to most people it will still look like a nice tat since they don't know Arabi, but if someone who knows it see it they will get a kick out of it. At least it is not a mess up in English which everyone can know for sure and really laugh at, then that would be something else poor girl

Unknown said...

That is a crack up! InshAllah she will be guided.

nida said...

Yes that is definately one good reason to NOT get tattoos. I am not sure what to say to it, it is pretty sad!

Imani said...

LMAOOOOOOOOO!! hahahahaa!!!

man ATLEAST they could spell the words correctly one. and for 2 they need to know that arabic is RIGHT TO LEFT not left to rigth like english!! if you write arabic left to right its impossible to read!! haha u should totally leave a comment n let her know

if tattoos were halal id NEVER get one in another language unless i can read, write and UNDERSTAND it!

muslimah said...

LMAO.
well how old is she
i did a extremely similar thing when i was 16ish.
it is stuuuupid

Mona Zenhom said...

How sad. Definitely should have researched that more!

Bassel Safadi said...

That's why you don't have to get arabic tatoos

Rays of Faith said...

that is most unfortunate. Why would you want black beauty forever stuck on your skin anyway.

I really just dont understand tattoos

Candice said...

Definitely a reason to not get tattoos you don't understand! If the language means nothing to you, why get it in that language?!

Jennifer said...

Essalam Alaikum Sis,

That's pretty sad.

On a brighter note, I'm happy to see that you are still blogging, Masha'Allah! Please come and see my new blog, well same stuff, food and alike, but different address. =D