CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Coilless hijab pins

One day while I was surfing the net for some new hijabs and niqaabs I came across a website advertising 'coil-less hijab pins'. Finally! They've come up with a safety pin without the nasrty coil on the end that would ALWAYS get stuck and caught up in my hijab. So many hijabs of mine have been ruined after getting stuck in the coil. I'd have to sit and try and twist the pin out and in even more dire cases, cut the pin off. I have a nice hijab with an almost dime sized hole in it because of that! I actually have to calculate and try tying the hijab in a way so the hole doesn't show, so I don't waste the hijab and just not use it.
I decided to give these a shot. I bought a pack from a website and they soon arrived. I opened the small ziplock bag and poured the 5 pins in the pack onto my dresser and proceeded to open one. Of course, unlike the coiled pins, it didn't spring open, since there was no coil. It opened and the straight part of the pin to go through the hijab just stayed in place haha. I bent the piece with the tip back and stuck it through my hijab and pinned it. I felt happy, no more messed up hijabs!

Okay I was so wrong! When I got home and it was time to take my hijab off, instead of my hijab getting caught in the coil, it got caught in the head!! .. and now I couldn't even unpin the hijab! After minutes of strugging, I slipped my hijab off from my head and took a look at the mess trying to figure out how to get the pin out. Finally I did get it out, but not until I messed up the hijab, a very small hole, but still one. I always wear my hijabs the same way, and pin it in the same place, so no harm done really, it can't be seen. But I pay good money for my hijabs and don't want them messed up and I'm tired of wasting time unpinning my hijab like it was some type brain teaser!

For me, these pins weren't a solution. Has anyone else tried the coil-less pins. How'd it work for you? I mean coil-less or not, there are some days alhamdulillah the pin comes out clean and some days it causes damage.

I've never been a fan of the chunky plastic pins. They always break on me. I've had too many episodes in high school of me sneezing and the pin breaking and the plastic part flying across the room haha! This is another reason why I like khimars, no pin necessary! (that's if the hole fits your head exactly)

The idea for these were really good, but now they need to work on making a hijab friendly safety pin head!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

As salamu alaykum.

I think those been out for a while, but it's rarely seen. That's such a shame because they look like they'd work better. Anyway I don't even use those kinds of safety pins. I use the "hijab pins" that come usually in black or white. You can find them in various hijab online stores/sites. It hasn't torn my hijab at all. The safety pins don't work with me no matter what material I wear.

Before I found out about the hijab pins, I wore a pashmina with a safety pin and it would get stuck on the front where it snaps in AND in the coil. I stopped using those and found the hijab pins and I was so thankful to; alhamdulilah. The only bad thing about the hijab pin is that you have to check for the quality of the pin. I had a good one pack of 5 (or 6) and it lasted me for a while but they get lost too often.
I got another back in the same store and the pin (when open) opens too wide and pokes me very often. They also are hard to bend/snap back in. So when you do buy these hijab pins, make sure you check the pin and check if the needle is straight, because the ones with the needle part curving, usually means it's going to be hard to open.

I bought a bad pack of them and half of them wouldn't even open without me struggling to snap it open.

This is just a thought :)

Adventurous Ammena said...

masha'allah thanks for the break down sis.. Ive never seen these, but have hurt so many hijabs in my time.. I use the plastic ones because I can think of no other way.. although recently Ive learnt how to tie a shayla without using a pin underneath my chin alhamdulillah.

Anonymous said...

Ammena, do share =)

OmAbdullah said...

asalamu alaykum .. have you tried using the stick pins? Those work great for me alhamdulillah !
great blog by the way :D

American Muslima Writer said...

SubhanAllah these pins are the pain of the hijabs. I love hijab dont get me wrong but the pins drive me NUTZ!!!!! I WILL BLOG AND LINK YOU! lol.
Ammena do share indeed!

Anonymous said...

American Muslima Writer, I agree the pins are the painful parts. I've stepped on so many straight pins, and the plastic pins I have, on rare occasions snap open by itself stabbing me under my chin.

I also poked my fingers on many straight pins. The ones with the connected caps are too expensive and sometimes leave a very big hole.

Velcro hijabs are quite expensive and sometimes aren't the ones you want. I have yet to see button ones :D

Al-Amira hijabs; I haven't tried yet, but I am planning to insha'Allah.

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

i like my hijabs bigggg so amira hijabs arent for me, i love khimars that come down to the wait, no pin necessary, but sometimes i like to wear shaylas/pashminas and thats when the pins mess me up! straight pins with the cap i dont like much. i can tie the shayla/pashmina without a pin, but then i have to keep re-fixing it cuz it gets loose.. maybe its just me? haha

Anonymous said...

Masha'Allah, Lazeena U.Y.

I attempted to die my shayla/pashmina since those are the only hijabs I have now. I stopped wearing the square ones because they leave a gap in the center under my chin and I have no idea how to pin it back to stop it from flying back and exposing my neck. I also agree al-amira hijabs are short, but sometimes it works for me since I occasionally wear a shirt and it would look strange for a pashmina to go over it and make me look puffy. I also have khimars but for some reason they make my upper body look round and puffy and make my abaya look very slim.

I also have to pin the khimars anyways! :( They are too big for my head, I guess I'm not the only one with a big head :P Heh. The shayla/pashminas stopped messing me up ever since I switched to the plastic hijab pins and I've been very happy alhamdulilah.

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

i wish i had success stories with plastic hijab pins, all theyve done are pop on me and scrape me up under the chin! alhamdulillah it works for you though. i'll continue to wait for the next latest hijab pin craze.

Mona Zenhom said...

There has to be a better way! That sounds like the start of a commercial of a new pin I'm going to invent. (not) It really seems like it shouldn't be to hard to solve this...the coil...done,now someone has to figure out a way to close it that doesn't snag.

Anonymous said...

Salams sister i use the safety pins and i get them stuck some times too and hate it but what i found that works is go to a craft store and buy the backs to the plastic brooches and just use those. they have worked so far with no real problems with them ripping the hijab hope this helps salams

~Medina~Habiba~

Anonymous said...

Assalaamualaikum,

I get this problem all the time regardless of what pins/brooches (with coil) I use, be they the cheap-by-the-pack ones or expensive-department-store ones.

So, until some genius inventor comes along and do us a big favour, I've decided to take things into my own hands.

What I've done is I've knotted a bit of rubber band just before the coil and that stops fabric from slipping into the coil rings. Alhamdulillah, no snags.

It's a crude solution which can be a bit of a pain when you've got an array of pins to match your hijaabs :)

You don't have to use rubber bands too. Just find something that can act like a stopper/nut and not move along the pin's shaft.

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

mashaAllah now THAT's a brilliant idea. I think an eraser end would work just as well as a rubber band too. thanks for the suggestion and inshaAllah we find something more hijab friendly soon =)

Unknown said...

slm, a small button on (a normal 2 or 4 holed button), on the safty pin will block the coil part and your scarf wont get caught up in it - something i learnt from my aunt, and it works:)

Hadiya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hadiya said...

As Salaamu Alaikum
Try these pear shape/coiless pins for your hijab. I found them on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200783178372